This is one of the number one usual questions in O level chemistry. Electrolysis in general is a fruitful concept in ordinary level chemistry which is aimed at educating science students on how substances are affected when they are in solution or molten by passing electrical current through it.
So a good knowledge in electrolysis will enable us to know how to extract metals such as sodium (Na), Magnesium (Mg), Zing (Zn) and moreover it teaches the student to know how important substances like chlorine, hydrogen, sodium hydroxide (used in manufacturing tooth paste).
And lastly knowledge in this course will enable students to know how the coat metals with other metals (electroplating).
After studying this lesson on electrolysis, students should be able to;
– Describe the ionic theory.
– Define; electrolyte, non-electrolyte, electrodes (anode and cathode) and electrolysis.
– Describe the mechanism of electrolysis (preferential discharge of ions during electrolysis). And the factors affecting the preferential discharge of ions.
– Describe the electrolysis of aqueous solutions (dilute and concentrated solutions).
– Describe the electrolysis of molten substances.
– State Faraday’s laws of electrolysis and solve problems related to the laws.
– State the applications and uses of electrolysis.
- Lectures 17
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level Ordinary Level
- Language English
- Students 3
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self
Lambeh Sibyl Nghobueh
I am so happy I got to take part Thank you ohipopo for this opportunity